Skagit Valley Sprint

Skagit Valley Sprint

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Look what came in the mail today!



Woo hoo! It finally came!!

I bought this book about 4 years ago, loved it and then out of the goodnes of my heart, "borrowed" it to someone and then never saw it again, not a problem...but, rather than wait and wait and wait...I just decided to get another one! You all have inspired me to want to really learn needleturn applique, so here it is...I have done a little bit before and found through past projects (a dresden plate for my m-i-law, a ufo (okay, so I am missing just one block) & a grandmother's flower garden that I have recently started) that I like handstitching! After this, I may even try some big stitch handquilting w/perle cotton (no, I WILL try some and perfect some)! Actually, I can't wait to get started...did I mention that I really want to do the wonky log cabins? And, I am signed up on swap-bot to do a 5" noodle exchange?! I love getting treasures in the mail, whether it be a swap or somethin from Alibris or Ebay....

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, treasures in the mail are the best!! Have fun learning needleturn applique, the piece o cake method is fabulous!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best books for explaining applique, do you have the DVD as well? that's awesome as well. Your enthusiasm is infectious, love to hear you will do big stitch, I taught it to my DD who has never quilted before and she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done hand appliqué, but haven't actually done needle turn. I have always pressed my seam allowances into place, using freezer paper and fabric glue sticks to keep them in place -- then placed the piece on the background fabric and handstitched into place. Some of the first examples of needleturn I saw did not have very smooth edges, so I was not motivated to learn it. Now I've seen some fabulous examples and hear how great it is from people like Cathy and Janet (above) and others, so I'm ready to give it a try. Maybe I need to get that book and DVD myself. I really like the idea of a DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of your blog. Applique is awe inspiring for sure. You will really like this book. I have used this pattern to teach beginner applique students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of big stitch just really haven't done it on a quilt yet, I will!
    this is a great book can't wait to see what you make from it
    They are wonderful teachers.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that the someone you borrowed it to will give it back now... isn't that the way it always goes??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm taking an online class using this book on our applique cafe yahoo group. I can't believe how much my applique has improved. I just need to finish my other blocks to get more practice.

    ReplyDelete