Skagit Valley Sprint

Skagit Valley Sprint

Monday, March 21, 2011

It's Getting There






Progress is slow, but this was never meant to be a race to get it done kind of project. More so, it's been something that I've savored along the way, enjoying the process of handstitching...of sitting around the campfire chatting and sewing...of sitting in the car, listening to the radio on a roadtrip when the scenery is boring and the conversation has begun to dwindle (or when they are talking boy-stuff) I've developed quite the callus on my middle needle-pushing finger too and my fingers fall asleep more than I would like them to, but I'm enjoying the whole process.  It's getting there, I can just about see the finish, I'm working on the borders now, so my thoughts wander to what kind of flowers I'm going to applique on the final border and should I machine or hand quilt this one? There was a kind lady at the quilt show over the weekend who was handquilting  with a hoop on a vintage GFG, it was fun to pick her brain, asking what kind of batting she used, how slack or taught the quilt should be in the hoop, how she knotted the thread when she reached the end of a length. The kind of questions that (for me anyway) that can only be answered by watching someone do it instead of trying to figure it out for myself with pictures and/or instructions on paper...in fact it inspired me to finish up the left-hand border that night and though it's not quite a "ta-da!" moment, I think that you'll agree that I've made quite a bit of progress...in fact, I think that I'm in love with this one!

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes! You've made wonderful progress, Andrea! I'm quite impressed. It's looking beautiful. You can be very proud of your diligence and effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking great. How wonderful that you were able to get some in-person perspective and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow What a beautiful quilt..Thanks for the tips you gave me on EPP quilt along! I need to gain confidence. Glad to find your blog

    ReplyDelete