Skagit Valley Sprint

Skagit Valley Sprint

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Stress Relief

My internal clock must have gotten tweaked somehow.  I have NEVER been a morning person, I can't emphasize that enough...I really mean NEVER, not when I was a kid, not even when I had babies. I used to work graveyard in a potato processing plant as a QA tech while I was pregnant with both of my boys and like me, they are both nightowls. These days, I am a Monday-Friday 9-5 kinda girl. My DH, however, has been working 6am-4pm Thursday-Sunday for the last month or so (his days off vary from month to month) which means that when the alarm goes off around 4:45am... I hear it, he doesn't.  Several smacks to the snooze button  later, he finally decides that he really has to go to work, but alas, I am wide awake by then. This doesn't make a girl like me, who enjoys sleeping in until 10am on a Saturday very happy...but there it is just the same.  My body wants to cuddle up with my pillow and a dog or two and forget that an obnoxious noise ever disturbed my slumber, but my brain is on fire and sleep is but a fantasy!  So to take advantage of the opportunity,
I have been going into work for a little overtime these last past few Saturdays. I was all set to do the same...but not today...no today, I contemplated the paperwork that needed processing and just couldn't do it, nope! Instead, I remembered that I have a young man that we call B around the house who has been waiting 2 years (cringe) for this to be quilted...
and so it was laid out on the livingroom floor, layered, taped and pinned and then it hit the sewing machine...it was then that I quickly realized that my machine quilting skills are pretty rusty!!!
Having completed about a third of the quilt this afternoon, the thought of picking out all those stitches have kept me from deciding to fix the walking foot onto my machine to do some straight line quilting.  I am very happy with the back though, while searching my stash for the backing flannel (which happily had already been pieced to the needed 84x74) I located some leftover blocks that were quickly stiched into a medallion of sorts to add interest. With any luck, I'll have B's quilt nap-worthy by Monday...(keeping my fingers crossed that I don't run out of thread before payday)

4 comments:

  1. I , like you , have never been a morning person until I got older. Now I feel like if I sleep past 7am, I have lost most of the day. Your quilt looks great and the medallion on the back was a stroke of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the medallion on the back of the quilt. And it's always so nice to get a UFO on the way to being finished.

    Thanks for the link in an earlier post to the crocheted hexagons. I'm going to try a little crocheting. I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you getting this finished. I love the backing, it's a great way to be creative and thrifty at the same time. Don't be too hard on yourself about the quilting, wash it and gift it and the reciever will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blocks on the back look great.... as do the swap blocks on the previous post! I think I get some of both of those stacks!

    ReplyDelete